Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dear Reader




Dear Reader,

Foremost, I am a student and athlete. I consider myself a middle of the road student as far as grades and success go. I have little time outside of school but I run cross-country in the fall and track in the spring. Additionally, I run in the off seasons of winter and spring. A large majority of my personal philosophy stems from academics and running. Whether I receive a bad grade or perform poorly athletically, there are consequences. I run in a slower race at my next meet or work harder to make up for that grade. My mistakes require a coping method to recover. I believe, therefore, that acceptance is the first step to overcoming any and every obstacle that can hinder achievement.

Because I face misfortunes or downfalls, I am forced to accept consequences and move on.  I am self-conscious about failure and have to find ways to cope with such insecurity. I commonly find someone or something else to blame in order to deal with my disappointments. But no matter who or what I blame, I convince myself it is out of my control. Honestly, I never totally believe the facades I make in my own t to blame and simply too cowardly to admit it. I realize I must own my mistake. There is always a nagging of my conscience. It whispers that I am a failure. Yet, I make the mistake of indefinitely punishing my mind for something small. Often the consequences of a small shortcoming or uncontrollable fate are self-inflicted. I ask myself “What could have happened if I had redone that differently?” and never let myself forget about it.
Other times, however, there are consequences placed upon me by an outside force. In the moment it is very hard to accept the punishment but fighting the inevitable leaves me tired.

Humans are opposed to consequences, yet they continue to punish themselves mentally for the mistakes they make. There is a certain unfairness recognized when at a disadvantage. Accepting misfortune poses a larger challenge than can be overcome without a conscious effort. To move on and leave the blemishes of my life behind is a daunting task but a simple one, once I summon the presence of mind to put life’s errors behind me. Just moving on is the first step.

I find myself often flinging myself into a vicious cycle of denial and blaming when at the very origin of my problems is me. Accepting my mistake and being able to let go allows that cycle break. By escaping the weight of blame, everyone can create a future instead of dwelling in the past. 
                                                    Sincerely,
                                                    Ian S

No comments:

Post a Comment